Tuesday 26 June 2007

Welcome to my world

Welcome to my blog fellow writers. I have tried many times to write blogs, but got easily bored and quit. Well, this time I'm going to stick for it for one reason and one reason only, to find out what triggers my IBS and find out what its like living with it.

I have been diagnosed with IBS since I was 13. I suffered with stomach cramps and could never put on any weight. Admittedly I fell into anorexia because I thought the stomach cramps were linked to what I was eating so I basically stopped eating. I know now it was wrong, and I probably did myself some damage but I was soon shocked out of it when I collapsed during a cross country race and was rushed to hospital.

I am now 22 (23 shortly) and have had a definite diagnosis of IBS through means of a colonoscopy (not nice, let me tell you) My symptoms became worse shortly before the birth of my 2ND son in 2005 so I had more tests. Coeliacs disease, Lyme's disease, diabetes amongst some I was tested for all came back negative.

I have been put on Dosulepin and it seems to be helping. Its main use if for depression but its an old use is for the symptoms of IBS. I have put on almost a stone since being on the tablets woohoo! So something must be working, I am now 7st 3lb as of yesterday.

To try and find out what is causing some of the other rather unpleasant symptoms I was refered to a dietition. I've to keep a food diary for the next week and see the dietitian in another month (quite tempted to keep a months worth of diary for a closer look). The outcome of the food diary is to try and eliminate certain "trigger" foods.

This is today's entry so far

At 11am I had 4 slices of fruit toast with Lurpak butter mmmmmmmm yummy
I had a Yakult afterwards on advice of the dietitian, it was a bit strange but OK.
And a cup of peppermint tea - first time I tried it and its pretty foul.

2.30 pm I had a ham and cheese baguette, 1/2 a picnic bar and 200ml of Dr Pepper.

4.50 pm I had 100ml orange flavoured water

at 5.50 I had 25g pack of chocolate chip biscuits

I am now debating what to have for tea, hmmmm. Take out or cook tough call

2 comments:

DaFoot said...

Take out, definately ;)

Liz said...

Take out it was lol! But you'll have to wait til later to find out what exactly